About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Friday, March 10, 2006

The Price of Love


One of our clients at the ad agency is a local jeweler and they want to step up their image with their engagement and wedding selection. This led into some interesting and hilarious conversations about the ring purchase and engagement rings in general. We were trying to concept a radio script where we're basically saying, "Ladies--you better tell him exactly what style you want so he doesn't screw it up." Knowing that this would probably not go over well on the air, we discussed ways to get that point across without offending the hell out of anyone. Of course, it also led into the "What's right" and "What's wrong" when it comes to this momentous moment.

The engagement and wedding ring is something that the woman will (hopefully) wear every day for the rest of her life. It will last longer than anything that she will ever own or wear. Longer than any sweater, longer than a car, longer than some photos, longer than a guy's pair of underwear or socks--(well, maybe not). Hell, the ring may last longer than the marriage! That's a lot of pressure for you guys! God knows I wouldn't want to deal with making just the right purchase. Therefore, it's pretty imperative that she better like the ring or at least approve of it in advance, right? Well, maybe not. Part of me feels this way. Sure, I'd like to have a say in this important purchase. I know what I like and I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't buy new running shoes without trying them on first. God knows, most women have their entire wedding planned by the time they're ten. Why wouldn't we have the ring picked out?

The other part of me is the hopeless romantic who wants the element of surprise...having complete faith that you'll love it no matter what because of the thought and emotion behind it.
But, let's get real...Would a lady purchase a drill press or a car for her husband without consulting his tastes and recommendations? I doubt it. Better yet, would you purchase a newbike without being fitted properly and finding out what your style is? Hell no--that would make for some uncomfortable moments...about as uncomfortable as giving your lady a ring that she thinks is hideous.

Is it wrong to suggest that the woman pick out her ring? By the same token, does it take the romance away if the guy asks what his girlfriend likes? Is it wrong to admit it if you don't like it? Again, you're stuck with it for the rest of your life!

I definitely don't have the answers to these questions because there is no right or wrong. Thank God we're all different or life would be BORING!! (guys--just don't let your Mom pick out the ring. No girl is ever good enough for her little boy and her ring choice will reflect her biased opinion of you).

Please note: I had this same conversation with the boyfriend last night, so this entry is in no way a hint or a threat. I swear. Really. I do. (oops-did I just say "I do?")



Workout: 11.5 mile run Runtex/Scenic Loop--hills! 8:55 avg pace at 5:30am

Nutrition:
5:10am 1/2 Balance Bar
7:30am other 1/2 Balance Bar
10:30 am Solar Falafel and half pita
1:30pm Salad with shrimp, mustard seed dressing, 1/2 apple, diet coke. Because service was so slow, they gave us free chocolate brownie dessert--damn. I shared half with my friend Cathy.

1 comment:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You're so damn insightful!!!