About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

Gee Wilke-ers!

Carrie's commute to Runtex at 5:20am

Dear God,

Please change Coach Gilbert's mind about today's workout. Don't make us do Wilke Road Repeats. C'mon God. I went to church this weekend. I'm holding to my Lenten promise of no alcohol (except for that Crested Butte excursion). If you love me, you'll have changed his mind. (oh yeah--thanks for the beautiful weekend). Love, me.

-----
Carrie's reaction after arriving at Runtex at 5:40am

DAMN!!! We're still doing Wilke.

-----

Carrie's reaction after the 9 mile+ workout was over at 7:30am

HALLELUJAH! :-)


Thank you for giving me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I couldn't change coach's mind, but I went out there and faced the Wilke Demon once again. The workout is a 3 mile warmup run to the big hill. We then do drills, 10x repeats up the hill, 3x backwords repeats and then 3 sprints 3/4 of the way up. And just when you think your quads can't stand anymore, you have the 3 mile run back to Runtex.

When I accepted that the workout wasn't changing, I told myself I was only going to do 7 forward repeats today. Of course, once everyone got there and we finished drills, Coach said, "Boston People--10x today. Everyone else--7x." And there it was. For the next month, I am a "Boston person." I mustered the courage, changed my mental thinking and hammered up 10x. After 7 repeats, Coach Gilbert was thinking about stopping me (since lots of folks were already done with their 7), but he said I looked strong. That's all I needed because I've NEVER felt strong after 7 repeats. I hammered up 3 more times thanks to the encoragement from Gilbert.

Heartbreak Hill can kiss my butt. Bring it on. I'm not going to set a PR at Boston, but I'm sure going to have fun the entire 26.2 miles.

From 6p-7p, I also attended my core class which is an hour of weight bars (I'm using the 18lb bar for arms and legs) and stability ball for abs. Somewhere underneath my belly goo is a hard rock stomach just waiting to be seen :-) We also traded some interesting recipe ideas for healthy cooking. It was a fun class indeed.

Nutrition:
5:15am Balance Bar and teaspoon of PB, bottle of water
8:15am Quinoa with Sun-dried tomatoes and spinach (Quinoa is a grain-like rice or cous cous--that also has a ton of protein as well). I'm learning to love this stuff. 2 cups of coffee and a Fresca.
11:30am Leftover Firebowl Cafe--chicken stirfry with veggies and brown rice...cup of sugar free jello
4pm Bowl of Kashi GO LEAN/Uncle Sams with Vanilla low sugar yogurt...Damn, I forgot my blueberries at home. Bottle of Water...diet Dr. Pepper
7:45pm Another hodge podge of food...sweet potato patty, spinach salad with salsa (thanks to the girl's in my core class that had me craving salsa), cup of Quinoa with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach, diet coke.

*** too much soda today. I didn't sleep well and was draggin in the afternoon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and just a reminder how lucky you are to be "a boston person" j