About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Thursday, March 30, 2006

#13039

It's official: I received my Official Boston Marathon Race Packet in the mail yesterday. Bib #13039. I'm starting in the second wave, which takes off at 12:30pm...Wow...Starting a marathon in the afternoon. I'm still not sure how my body will respond to that drastic change. We're doing our 14 miler this Saturday at 11am (12noon Boston) so it will be a good test. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I'm afraid to look ahead at the weather patterns. Partly cloudy and mid 50s...That's what I'm hoping for at this point! I saw a picture of the "2006 Official Boston Marathon Running Jacket." It's Silver/Dark navy this year. You know what?? It could be fuscia and brown and I'd still love it! I can't wait to post some photos in my jacket!


This morning, I got up and went to Spin Class and then hopped on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Spin class was a 45 minute series of climbs, jumps and speed work. My avg HR was 76% which includes both the warm-up and cool down. There were a couple of intervals where she wanted us to get to 90%. I got up to 86% max. Honestly, it's very difficult for me to get that high on the spin bike. I've heard that your max HR on the bike is lower than running so I usually try to stay between 85-90%. My HR avg on the treadmill was 80%. Not too bad as I hovered in the 9min range. 3.18 miles in 30 minutes....My knees were a bit sore this morning, which was disconcerting to me. I'm glad I got the workout finished early today because I'm going to dinner and a play with some friends tonight.

Will I make it to the pool at lunch?? That's the plan for now!

I actually did make it to Stacy Pool around 3pm today and did a 30 minute endurance swim. Just a steady swim...For the first 20 minutes, I felt like I nailed it! I've never felt more graceful in the water. Everything seemed to be clicking and this 5' 1" body felt long and graceful. The last 10 minutes weren't so pretty. While I didn't time each lap, I definitely felt like I was losing form and slowing down. What a difference a few minutes makes, right? I was still happy with my overall effort.

I'm also happy that for all intensive purposes, I did a triathlon today!

5:30am PB Kids Clif Bar (free from race), 3 bottles of water at gym, coffee
9:15am cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, blueberries and yogurt
12:40pm apple and Morning star Veggie burger on 1/2 whole wheat tortilla, diet coke
4:15pm cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with yogurt
7:00pm Zax Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad, cranberry/club soda mix (mocktail), 1 piece of bread with a little butter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I enjoyed reading your blog. I just wanted to let you know that the ugly silver "Official" marathon jacket is not your only option. Adidias makes the real "Official" marathon jacket. Here is a link to the womens jacket. It looks even better in person. Women's Adidas Jacket

TTUTri said...

Very cool. Can't wait to read about the "Boston" experience....

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

The Women's Adidas jacket is MUCH NICER!! I'm sure I'll buy both ;-)