About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Bike Karma

For those that know me and my history of triathlons, you are no doubt familiar with my bad bike karma. Out of the 9 or so tris I've completed, I've had some sort of bike mechanical issue in at least 1/2 of them, usually in the form of a flat tire...or two...or three...or four (yep, 4 flat tires in one race isn't fun). I've never had a DNF, but I've been mentally and emotionally close to throwing my bike on the side of the road and walking home.

I bought a Kestrel bike last Fall. I actually bought it on e-bay and I LOVE it. We're still getting to know each other. Some days the bike feels great and other days it doesn't. The good news? I haven't had one flat tire! Of course, that's scary in itself because you know it will happen someday. Let's just hope it's not in a race. This morning I was scheduled to do a short 30 minute ride with a couple of pickups. I hopped on the bike this morning at 7am and it felt great. About 5 minutes into the ride, I heard something metal hit the ground, but I didn't know what it was. I just assumed that I ran over something. About 100 or so yards down the road. I stopped at a stop sign and my freaking seat fell to to the side!! It was hanging by one screw--barely!! Damn, if it's not one thing it's another with my bicycling. It wasn't just loose. This thing was hanging by a thread. I didn't want to quit 5 minutes into a measley 30 minute ride. I tighened the one good screw as much as I could with my fingers (I didn't bring any tools with me since it was such a short ride--grrr) and rode on a loose seat for the next 25 minutes. Today's bike workout turned out to be as much of a core workout than anything!

Let's hope my 45 minute swim is less eventful.

I decided to hit the pool around 12:15pm. I was scheduled to swim 45 minutes. At first I thought I would just hop in the pool and do an endurance swim for 45 minutes...no real speed, no real drills...just swim. I was exhausted after about 18 minutes :-) How is it that I can run for almost 4 hours straight, but can't swim more than 15 minutes? In any event, I abandoned the straight swimming idea as I could feel my form starting to break down a bit. I slowed it all down and began to work on some drills. Catch-Up (Touch-Pull-Roll), 3-6-3 kick/stroke. In between each drill, I would also swim a lap to work on the drill I had just completed. I spent the last few minutes with a little bit of speed work. I did 5 x 50s. It's not a lot, but I had them between 55 sec and 1 min consistently. I think it's a vast improvement from some previous times. I cooled down with a 200 swim for a total pool time of 42 minutes. I also have to point out the fact that I actually lapped the guy who was swimming in the next lane. I LAPPED SOMEONE!!! Granted, his form was the equivalent of a fish gasping for its last breath or Elaine from "Seinfeld" trying to dance under water, but I don't care. My body passed someone else's in the water! That's good enough for me today.

Nutrition:
8:30am apple on the way to work and a bottle of water
9:45 am Kashi/Uncle Sams, yogurt, blueberries, coffee and bottle of water with Crystal Lite
1:30pm Post-Swim Salmon Caesar Salad from Zax, couple of bites of brown rice (needed a carb fix), 1/2 cup of Kashi Mighty Bites, Can of Minute Maid Lite Lemonade (5 cals)

7:30pm (bad things happen when I don't eat every four hours or so) We had a "going away" celebration for our fellow runner/triathlete Jason who is moving to Seattle. After much debate, we ended up at a Mexican Restaurant called El Rey. I proceeded to eat way too many chips and also had 2 smoked chicken enchiladas (I scraped all the cheese off), refried beans and rice. I ate every morsel. I'm chalking it up to my "dietary cheat" meal. Actually, it probably wasn't horrible, but the only thing that resembled a vegetable of any kind was the salsa with which I was dipping my chips. I also didn't drink any alcohol and settled in for water and a diet coke. Let's just call it my 20-miler carb loading!

5 comments:

TTUTri said...

Oh man - That happened to me right after my bike fitting a few weeks back. 3 hours of fitting only to get out the next day and have my seat all loosey-goosey. It does make for an interest ride though.

Anonymous said...

Maybe your bad bike karma is the Almighty's way of saying..."slow down and give the other mortals a fighting chance because you know you're going to smoke 'em on the run!" Have you ever tried running slow?...I do it ALL the time and I've never had a flat!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Hell, it's taken me this long to learn how to run fast!! I'm not stopping now :-) FYI--because of my 4 tire blowouts during Buffalo Springs in 2004, I was one of only two bikes left on the course!! I spent the entire Half-Marathon trying to pass as many people as humanly possible--inlcuding Sarah Reinertsen, who only has one leg!! (That was the first year she qualified for Hawaii)I love her. She awesome. I had to pass her on the run.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were at the event that first qualified Sarah Reinersten for Hawaii! She is the reason I am committed to doing a full IronMan someday. After the IronStar 1/2 in 2004, where I left in an ambulance because of my asthma, I pretty much gave up on a full distance. Then I watched Sarah cross the finish line in 2005 Hawaii. I was so emotional, I actually cried. At that point, I knew there was no reason I couldn't do a full IM.

Anonymous said...

It was good seeing you at Jason's thingy last night. Dude, I thought you were going to mention my Ambien experience...it was my shot at stardom!! Damn you!