About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, April 17, 2006

Wow...

I will expand with more time. Right now, I'm looking forward to slamming a pizza and some wine :-)

I had two PRs today:

Personal Record: 3:35:04 (beating my previous 3:37:00 in Chicago)
Personal Revelation: Dreams can come true with hard work and perserverance.

In summary, I wasn't feeling great the first half of the race. The miles seemed to drag. Once we hit the hills at Mile 17, something just clicked and, in the infamous words of my coach, I "dropped the bomb." My original goal was 3:45...Once I started picking up pace I thought, "Well, hell, now that I'm this close, I should at least try to qualify again." I started running 7:30s like a madwoman. At that point, I knew I was close to my PR so my mind switch to getting the PR. I just dropped the hammer as much as I could and kept up the 7:20-7:30 pace for the last 5 miles.

Y'all (in my best fake Texas accent), I crossed the finish line with energy to spare. I give credit to Coach Gilbert and the Gazelles for kicking my butt into gear for this race. He made Heartbreak Hill seem like a bump in the road.

More later...

Boston ROCKS!! I love you Mom and Dad :-)

6 comments:

Deb said...

Congrads girlie! WOW...what a 'life accomplishment'. Sooo happy for you! Eat, have a glass of vino and relax. Well deserved!

Anonymous said...

make me teary eyed why don't you? super huge hug to you....j

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Way to go! Congrats! JBy

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I watched many Austinites pace progression and definitely noticed that you were picking things up. Huge congratulations!
- another Gazelle

Anonymous said...

Wow is right.

I couldn't have said it better.