About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rest Period...OVER

I can't tell you the last time I took two days off from working out (oh yeah, besides last week when I was still recovering). I mean blatantly, for no good reason, taking two days off. This past week was supposed to be my week back of hitting it hard for the upcoming triathlons. There was just one problem...I fell ill on Thursday and was still not feeling up to par on Friday. I just did not feel good enough to pound the pavement for no major goal right now.

I'm also suffering from that post-major event let down. I'm lacking the major willpower to go out and hit it hard when I'm not really looking to shatter any records right now. Don't get me wrong, these triathlons on Memorial Day and June 12th will be difficult. My last swim is proof of that. I just look at them a little differently than I do a running race. The Half-Ironman is about endurance and not speed. It's also about preparing for the unknowns of flat tires and getting kicked in the face during the swim. Those unknowns add an element of stress for me, as both of the above always tend to happen whether I like it or not.

I was supposed to get up and run with Amy and a few others at 5:45am this morning. I was in bed at a decent hour last night and up at 5am. We had gotten some storms in the middle of the night and when I opened the door this morning, I realized it was still raining. I immediately sent Amy a text and crawled back in bed. That's the 2nd time I've bailed this week on someone. Luckily, both were meeting others and not just me. My point is that these behaviours aren't like me. When I commit, I follow through for the most part. I'm just chalking it up to the fact that my body (and mostly my mind) still need some rest.

Shawn and I ran a ton of errands for the house this morning. By 9am, we were picking out granite (for the 4th time). We also hit the plumbing store and tile store. We even went to Crate and Barrel to pick out gifts for a shower we're going to tonight. I was going a little stir crazy knowing that I really wanted some form of workout today. The best part?? I did end up getting that 10 mile run in my day. It wasn't until 3pm, but we went out there and did it. I feel soooo much better having pushed myself. It wasn't fast (about an 8:50 pace for 10.28 miles), but it was a much needed kick in the rear. Tomorrow, we're heading to Johnson City in the morning for a 45-50 mile bike ride. I also signed back up for swim classes so I'll hit that Monday night after doing a Gazelle workout Monday morning. I'm also working on some weights and core! (although not as much as I should)

Soooo...I hope I enjoyed my break because it's officially over.

I'm thinking of signing up for a 2K swim next Sunday. It will be a great benchmark of where I'm at right now. I'd be thrilled with a 40 minute swim. Most will do it between 30-35. That will be me someday.

No comments: