About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Greetings from the East Coast!

Thanks to everyone for the posts, emails and phone calls. I'm still on my high from the race. In fact, I think I'm still carb-loading! oops--put the fork down, Carrie. The race is over :-) Actually, these days, it's more like, "Put the wine glass down, Carrie." I have to thank Mother Nature for giving us the perfect day for running. You couldn't have asked for better weather.

Shawn and I have spent the last few days traveling up the East Coast of New Hampshire and Maine. It's so utterly beautiful. Free Wireless isn't as easy to come by in these parts as it is in Austin. That's probably a good thing so that I'm not tied to the laptop. We finally found a coffee ship in Portland, Maine with free wi-fi.

Oddly enough, we stopped in the random town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire on Tuesday for lunch and in the bowels of the restaurant (we had to walk downstairs which was not pleasant), we saw three drunk girls with Boston Medals around their neck!! They said they spotted my jacket. I think they spotted my "runners walk" down the stairs. In any event, we were all on post race highs (and they didn't even PR--but that's another blog) and partaking in mid-day margaritas. What's a girl to do?? I joined in! One was from Florida and the other from these parts.

We'll head south the rest of the weekend and hit Cape Cod, Providence, Newport and Martha's Vineyard. It's still a tad chilly, but I'll take mid-50s over the 100+ days that Austin is having right now!

We've had some laughable moments this week. I lost my credit card, Shawn found out that his was counterfeited and being used this week in Korea and Oklahoma City (!?). Then, we FOUND a wallet with plenty of credit cards in it in the back of a cab! Luckily, our lodging has been free so far since we've been surviving without credit--who knew it was possible?? In any event, we've been trying to track the owner of the wallet down for three days now with no luck. I'm sure he's freaking out at the moment. Luckily, it ended up in the hands of fairly honest people. It had a Starbucks Card, but good luck finding a Starbucks in rural Maine!! This part of the country is beautiful, but there are a few things I couldn't live without.

Since Texas is the home of BBQ and Tex-mex, we've certainly taken the liberty to O.D. on anything that begins with the word "lobster." For lunch yesterday, we had lobster bisque, a lobster roll and lobster salad. Dinner consisted of baked stuffed lobster and a salad with shrimp, crab and--you guessed it---lobster! Oh--by the way--you can skip the lobster quesedilla. It was my attempt at blending Texas and Maine. Don't try it. You can spot us anywhere right now. We're the couple that just keeps the lobster bibs around our neck. Shawn's worried about getting his clothes dirty. I'm all about protecting my fabulous Boston Marathon medal.

Shawn went for a run this morning and I attempted to go for a walk. It didn't go so well. I opted instead for some light stretching and ab work. Maybe tomorrow...So far, we've done NOOOO other training for our upcoming triathlons. The ocean is beautiful, but not even locals want to jump in the 50 degree ocean. It can all wait until our return. I guess the closest we've done to swimming is sitting in the hot tub each night on the ocean deck. It pays to have rich friends and Shawn's got 'em. This dude is a keeper!!!

Photos of the race are coming soon! We're off to have dinner here in Portland. I have no doubt that one of the courses will consist of lobster!

We said "hi" to the Bush's for everyone when we drove by their compound in Kennebunkport. It was surprisingly easy to find and view, but I don't recommend attempting to scale the fence. It sounded like a good idea at the time. We didn't get arrested or anything. My quads were still hurting from the race, that's all!

Peace from the East Coast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so happy that you are enjoying yourself and your life. go carrie! j

Deb said...

You are to funny woman! "The Busches"....you know theres' a little chickie stirring them things in the back....
Love you joined the girls...exactly what a girl SHOULD do! So glad you had a great time. Can't wait for the pics!