About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Thursday, April 13, 2006

T-Minus 5 Days...Go in Peace

Sometimes the most simple advice can be the most profound. I wasn't there, but one of the Boston runners was having a slight panic moment yesterday. Coach Gilbert simply said "Go in Peace." Wow...As Amy relayed that story this morning on our final Austin run, it instantaneously put me at ease about everything. In a rush to finish work, eat right, do laundry, pack, confirm flights, print out Race Information, make pet arrangements, schedule a massage, help a friend who's having surgery today, etc., it's so easy to get caught up in the chaos and mayhem, adding to the stress and anxiety that you already feel about the unknown.

"Go in Peace."

It means everything this weekend. In the rush and overconsumption of Marathon talk, I actually almost forgot that it is also Easter weekend...the holiest day for a Christian. A couple of friends actually found a Catholic Mass for runners. I love it. It will be an hour of reflection, gratitude, Thanksgiving and, you guessed it, PEACE. I'm looking forward to the silence. I'm looking forward to the community. It's also a good reminder of no matter how stressful and painful our lives are, there is always someone to look up to and say, "I give up. I need your help."

"Go in Peace."

It's not even necessarily a "religious" statement even though it certainly brings back Catholic school memories. For me, "Go in Peace" also means to clear my mind and accept whatever happens on race day. Run with a light heart...Run with love and confidence...Run with abandon and realize that there are some things I just can't control no matter how hard I try.

"Go in Peace."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for some reason you have been on my mind so much and i am counting the days for you. i will watch you all day and share your excitement from my computer. have you decided to race or jog...:-) i'd like to know your goal times so i can really share the excitement. j

Deb said...

Good luck Carrie and remember to make it fun! What an awesome accomplishment just to qualify and run it. Go in Peace.... very nice mantra to adopt. have you posted your race number? Go get em!!!