About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Thursday, April 06, 2006

I'm a Big Fatty Acid!!

I was made fun of a lot as a kid because I was short, chubby and had enormous boobs. Fortunately, I’ve rectified two of the three. Unfortunately, I can’t do much about my height. I grew up with four big brothers and no sisters, which also made me a certified tomboy. Hell, I was more of a boy than a tomboy! It’s so easy to see why I am the way I am today. I’m competitive, scrappy, determined, strong-willed and yet always still self-conscious. I also carry an innate sense of humor about myself and life. Ok..Ok… I use humor as a defense mechanism. I’m the female “Chandler Bing.” (with almost as many weight fluctuations!) But, being the only girl, I had to be all of those things. I had to fend for myself in arguments, I had to stand out in a crowd and I had to be extroverted in order to get attention. Also, being in a household of testosterone, I had to pop wheelies, dig up worms and learn tackle football. That’s just the way it was. That’s why I’m so thankful I discovered the community of running and triathlon. It’s a community that respects strength and weakness, pain and comfort, fast and slow, big and small, pride and self-deprecation and bloodthirsty and casual. God knows we’re all of the above at one time or another.

I used to hate being called “fat” the most. (who doesn't??) That is, until I discovered “Omega 3 Fatty Acids!” I’ve had salmon two days in a row now and I love it! So feel free to call me a “Fatty Acid” any time you want. Just don’t call me a “Fat Ass” because my inner tomboy will reappear and stomp you to the ground. :-)

The DC Comedy Fest is this weekend! We leave Saturday morning and come back Sunday evening. My plan is to get up and ride at least 1 hour on the trainer before I leave and run 30-40 minutes while in DC on Sunday. In between those training times, I hope to make a few people laugh.

The Boston Marathon is 11 days away! yippeeeeeeeeeee

This morning, I slept in a bit and did 45 minutes of core work--legs and arms with my 22lb weight bar and about 20 minutes of abs both on and off the ball.

I did ride for an hour tonight from 6:30pm-7:30p around the neighborhoods of Tarrytown.
Scenic and Exposition both have some nice hills. They actually seemed harder on the bike than they do on a run. hmmmm...It was about 15 miles of cycling. Not bad...Again, I was really focusing on relaxing and not hammering my legs.

Nutrition:

6am 1/3 cup dry kashi
9:15am w.w. tortilla, with organic PB and a banana.
11:30am handful of Kashi and 1 piece of chocolate (damn co-workers)
1:30pm Zen: udon noodles with salmon, onion, red bell peppers in teriyaki and an apple
6:00pm whole wheat tortilla with organic PB and fruit spread
8:15pm Met Shawn at Whole Foods after our workout and we hit the salad bar. My salad had a little of everything including some hummus, tuna and a spinach cake. Oh yeah, there was also some lettuce. We also split some cous cous and salmon pasta. 1/2 small blizzard from Dairy Queen :-)

No comments: