About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, January 06, 2008

20 Mile Run...and an Ice Bath

So after yesterday's ride, I filled the tub up with ice cold water and endured the dreaded "ice bath." This brutal self-torture is almost worse than the actual workout, but the benefits border on miraculous. I soaked my aching legs for about 15 minutes, then hopped in the steaming hot shower. After the hot shower, I hopped back in the ice tub for another 15 minutes. The results speak for themselves. While I, of course, have some remnants of sore muscles, the stiffness and pain is much less substantial than it would be.

There wasn't much time for recovery as today's workout was an equally brutal 20 mile run. I wanted to get an early start so I braved it alone with my iPod and 2 Power Gels. As suspected, the first couple of miles were sluggish and a little "tweaky." My hamstrings and hip flexors were definitely making their presence known. I left from my house and did the Scenic Loop first, followed by the 10 mile Lady Bird Town Lake Trail Loop. I had to add 3 more miles at the end which I did on Lake Austin Blvd, Bonnie and on the O'Henry Track.

Once I got going, it turned into one heck of a good training run. My energy level was high and I spaced my power gels well. I started feeling really tired and dehydrated at Mile 18, but it would've been the time to take another gel anyway. As it was, I took a gel at Mile 6 and Mile 12. I completed the last 1.5 miles on the track across from my house so it was difficult making several loops and looking at my front door every time knowing that coffee was probably brewing!

This beast of a training week is now complete with over 18.5 hours of solid money into the IM Training Bank. Next week is a recovery week--yay!! Time to recharge...

Needless to say, I had another ice bath this morning after that 20 mile trek.

Here are the run details:

20 Miles
3:00:50
Avg Pace Overall: 9:02 (that's on target for a 4-hour marathon on very tired legs!!)

Mile 1: 10:12
Mile 2: 9:45
Mile 3: 9:20
Mile 4: 9:20
Mile 5: 9:19
Mile 6: 9:17
Mile 7: 9:09
Mile 8: 8:52
Mile 9: 9:01
Mile 10 : 9:00
Mile 11: 8:36
Mile 12: 8:56
Mile 13: 8:26
Mile 14: 8:46
Mile 15: 8:41
Mile 16: 8:46
Mile 17: 8:50
Mile 18: 8:52
Mile 19: 8:59
Mile 20: 8:41

1 comment:

triguyjt said...

excellent run...
your 18.5 hours earned you a week without your nose to the grindstone..haha..
cool beans.
I love the ice baths by the way..but I usually just go 20 mins and thats it. I will try the 15 in..and warm. followed by 15 more in ice...
jealous of pro athletes who have ice baths- and heated baths...