About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Friday, September 29, 2006

Week 8: Swim Class

Thursday:

Nothing really new to report on the Swim front. Still no real "breakthroughs" on times or training even though I continue to tweak my form to what I think is correct. My next strategy is to actually attend a workout where I'm observing from the pool deck and watching swimmers from above. I think it will help me visualize the good and the bad. I can also listen to the coach's instructions for other swimmers.

I attended practice on Thursday morning where our speed set was pretty nutty!

2 x 50, 3 x 50, 4 x 50 (at 85%), 5 x 50 (at 90%), 6 x 50 (95%). We had recovery laps and drills in between each speed set so we could gather our breath and regain form. My main problem is that when I start to speed up, I flatten my body and don't rotate in the water. Therefore, I ended up losing my catch. Plus, I definitely end up flatlining after the 90% effort and my 95% effort becomes my recovery.

85% avg 1:15 per 50
90% avg 1:07 per 50
95% avg 1:10 per 50---oops!

No comments: