About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Week 5: Back in the Saddle

After a 3 Mile Hike on Sunday and an 11 Mile Hike on Monday in Colorado, I had to descend from the heavens (or roughly 11,500 feet) and come back down to earth.

This morning, I braved my first attempt at getting back on the bike saddle by going to spin class with Shawn. While the class was great, I really tried to stay keenly aware of my injury and nurse it a tad. After the 45 minute spin class complete with speed work and hill climbs, I hopped on the treadmill and did a 3 mile recovery jog. By recovery, I'm talking 9:15 pace. It didn't take long to feel some irritation, damn it! I'm trying to take it slow, but the downtime is killing me mentally and physically! I see how easily it is to slip right back into "lazy" mode. Believe me, it's much more relaxing sleeping in than it is getting up a 5:00am to push yourself to the limits.

This week will be another "off" training week as I'm picking up my brother today who is in town for the Ohio State vs. Texas game. I adore living in Longhorn country, but I gotta say with all of my midwestern loyalties in tact, "GO BUCKEYES!" My future brother and sis-in-law are coming in, as well as other extended family and friends. God, I love college football, especially when my team is currently ranked #1!

Next week will bring a return to training normalcy, I hope! It's definitely peak training time for the November Half-Ironman and I hate to miss out on all the fun and long hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are being patient with the recovery...you'll be back in no time though. Looking forward to having you back with Gazelles..missed you this morning!

Deb said...

glad you had a girlie getaway, but bummer on the injury! Your 9+ pace n the treadmill is my regular pace...see what all the running club/coaches and traiing club gets you??? FAST...that's what, so take that pace for what it is..RECOVERY! Have fun with your bros!