About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Week 6: Fri Recap Long Run and Swim

It's just another amazing week in Austin, Texas. However, just when you think that the Fall season is breaking, Mother Nature knocks one out of the park again.While the temperatures during the day have hit a pleasant low-to-mid 90s, the mornings have been interesting this week. I actually got up to go to swim class on Thursday morning. I had eaten my peanut butter snack at 5:20am, put on my suit, grabbed my bag and walked outside to my car. As soon as I walked outside, I said, "Holy crap. It's actually chilly this morning." The last thing I wanted to do was jump in a cold outdoor pool. I walked right back upstais and crawled right back into bed until 7:30am. I chalked Thursday up to a Rest Day.

Friday:

Running Partner Amy asked if we could do our long run for the week (14 miles up Mt. Bonnell) on Friday morning. I debated about it, but ultimately decided that she has never turned me down for a Friday long run so I wasn't going to disappoint her. We ended up meeting Thon and Mike as well on Friday (who was leaving for his honeymoon the next day!) at 5:30am for our 14 mile Run. The Garmin measured 13.75 miles at 2:02:31. I'm not sure how I feel about this run. Honestly, I felt like we were running a little faster than this. Or, at least my effort level felt faster and harder than usual. My knees were also feeling a little sore. That's usually an indication that I need new shoes, but I'm still a month or so away from new shoes. I do have to keep in mind that it was my long run and I'm supposed to run it slower. Plus, we did the 14 miles in Reverse, which meant that we hit the Exposition Hills early and headed right up Mt. Bonnell. The Manager of the 35th Street Dry Cleaner was outside when we stopped to use their water hoses. It was nice to get a chance to thank her in person for letting us use their hoses. She mentioned something about needing to get some new ones and I think the runners of Austin should chip in some cash and get some new hoses. Lord knows we take advantage of their water every day!!
Mile 1 9:57
Mile 2 9:15
Mile 3 9:29
Mile 4 9:14
Mile 5 9:05
Mile 6 9:09
Mile 7: 9:11
Mile 8: 8:58
Mile 9: 9:04
Mile 10: 8:16
Mile 11: 8:56
Mile 12: 8:50
Mile 13: 8:00
Mile 14: 5:00 (not a full Mile)

At least we had a nice negative split at the end, but I was definitely ready for it to be finsihed. Plus, the chill of the day before was completely gone and taken over by a blanket of humidity. I regrettfully had worn a shirt with sleeves thinking it would be chilly again. No such luck. I topped my Friday morning run off with breakfast at MiMadres. I'm the only person in town that orders the "Low Carb" Plate, but has to announce that I wan corn tortillas to add the carbs!!

I went straight to work from breakfast and literally worked for about 3 hours in my sweaty, smelly running clothes until I went to Stacy Pool at lunch for a quick 20 minute swim. I'm working on my new and (I hope) improved stroke. It felt weird, but much better. Now, it's time to work on some speed.

I was happy to put breakfast as a larger priority that morning than showering!! It's just another reason why I love my casual job. I'm able to walk around in my running clothes and my 4 co-workers think nothing of it. I certainly couldn't do that in the corporate world!!!

Later on Friday, I left work early to take advantage of the three-day Austin City Limits Music Festival in town. (as if I needed another reason to love this town). While I didn't stay more than 3 hours, I was able to catch mini-concerts of Nickel Creek, Gnarls Barkley, Cat Powers, Gomez and Thievary Corporation. Most of these are bands I would never see by themselves, but when you're in a park with 8 different stages, you can't help but walk around and soak in the music and atmosphere of a festival.

I left that around 7pm (skipping music by John Mayer and Van Morrison) to go furniture shopping for the new house. We found a couple of beds and couches that we love! We're getting so much of that accomplished now. I just wish our builders would hurry the hell up!!!!

Saturday recap coming tomorrow...

No comments: