About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Week 2: Swim and Bike

Beep, Beep, Beep.

"I interrupt this regularly scheduled program to bring a quick news bulletin."
The engagement ring has officially arrived. I repeat-the engagement ring has officially arrived. Should you see bright lights and stranges flashes of brilliance in the city sky, do not run for cover. It just means that Carrie is in the area. Details and film at 11. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming."

Swim Class
Can I just say that for the first time today, I didn't feel like a total "fish out of water" in the pool? I was one of 4 or 5 in the "less experienced" lane and I actually led the pack for every set. Not once did I feel like I was a hinderance to the other swimmers. Believe me, I almost always feel the accidental (or not) tap on the foot behind me that lets me know that someone is on my tail. Not today for some reason. I have no real explanation, but I felt more together in the water than usual. I finished every set for a total of 2800 yards today. The workout included some speed sets, as well as work with the paddles and fins. I tried to focus a lot on my kick today, which appeared to help. I'm also trying to get better with my breathing pattern. I tend to wait too long (4-5 strokes) in workout and on race day, I panic and start breathing every stroke. Ideally, I'd like to become comfortable with bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke. It will definitely help with my balance in the water. Overall, I was thrilled with my effort in the pool this morning.

Bike Ride
I went for a leisurely hour-long bike ride after work today. Jill had mentioned that she and Sara may meet me at 6pm at the Rock to ride with me. I got there early and waited for a bit. At about 6:05, I started riding up and down the street to make sure I wasn't in the wrong spot. Of course, I had left my cell phone in my car so I couldn't call. I hope nothing happened! I proceeded on with my ride at about 6:10 through the streets of Tarrytown. I love riding in this area as there is plenty of room for bikes and it's also a very "active" and scenic area. Runners were drudging along on the trail or heading to O'Henry track for their evening workouts. (I don't know how they do it in 105 degree heat). The Austin High football team and band were on the field practicing. Swimmers and rowers were heading towards the lake for their respective stress-relievers. Of course, other cyclists were also taking advantage of the beautiful evening as well. I can't wait to be able to call this neighborhood "home" in just a few short weeks. I didn't have a watch or my Garmin so I have no idea what my average speed or distance was. Suffice to say, it felt good and I definitely climbed some hills (Balcones, Scenic and a couple of repeats on Matthews). I even saw a couple of T3'ers with their bike trainers set up on the O'Henry track. It looked like a brick workout was taking place. They would spin for a while and then hope off the bike and run. I definitely have to get the scoop on that one! It's almost too torturous not to try! I also saw the evening Gilbert's Gazelle group doing the Meridan Loop tonight. Coach G stopped me and we talked for a while. He didn't know I was moving into the 'hood or the fact that I was engaged. What can I say, I don't talk much at 5:45am!!

All in all, it was a fantastic day!!

And, did I mention how freaking beautiful the ring is????

Nutrition:

5:30am 1/2 Peanut Butter Balance Bar
7:30am 1/2 Peanut Butter Balance Bar
9:30am 1 cup kashi go Lean Crunch with milk, 2 pieces of string cheese
1:15pm chicken with veggies and cup of brown rice
4pm small jolly rancher
5:30pm 1/2 clif bar before ride
7:45pm Met Shawn at 34th Street Cafe--Caesar Salad, 1 small piece of wheat bread, salmon served with spinach over quinoa and glass of pinot noir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"4pm small jolly rancher"

oh good grief.