About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Week 1: Swim Class

It was one of those dreams where you're on vacation and the world is perfect. When suddenly--as if you are submerged in ice cold water--you wake up in a panic. That's when I realized I actually DID immerse myself in cold water this morning at the pool. I'm pretty convinced I was still asleep during the entire commute there!

Workout was tolerable as I work towards building confidence again. My lane (the slow one at the end of the pool) only had three of us, so there was adequate space between each swimmer. With the exception of one time, I never felt like I was slowing anyone else down. I also discovered that I'm pretty good at everything EXCEPT the actual swimming part ;-) I have decent speed with fins, paddles, pull buoys and other toys. Unfortunately, it's when I take them off that I feel naked...exposed...weak as hell. The good news?? I kept up and completed the workout at 2,750 yards.

_____

This is my final week in the condo an my house is in boxes at the moment. Toothpaste? Box. Bowl and spoon? Box. Jeans? Box. My goal is to be completely out of my condo by Sunday night so that I can do one final dusting and vaccum. I'm supposed to close next Tuesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes through! I'm so ready and I'm relieved at how much CRAP I've pitched! I hate to call it crap since some of these items have been with me for over 30 years and four moves. But, do I really need pens that I've had since grade school just because they have my name on them? Do I really still need the Clinton/Gore 92 button?? (I decided "yes") What about the walkman that still has the soundtrack to "Legal Eagles" in it? It's time...By the way, that soundtrack had the hit single "Who's Johnny?" and something by Rod Stewart.

_____

As I jumped into the ice cold pool, not only was it a good morning wake up alarm, it was also a reminder of what cleansing takes place when you just start pitching useless items in your life that take up unecessary space. It built confidence in more ways than one today.

1 comment:

Deb said...

We all accumulate to much 'stuff',but sometimes it is very necesary...who really knows why. Holding on the memories, appreciating them enough to let go and move on. It's all good.
Great swim! Good luck on a smooth closing and move!!