About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Finally Feeling the Tempo

It was almost a cruel joke. Gilber threw in another 4-mile tempo run a mere three weeks after the last one. Usually, he waits at least a month. Oh well...I knew it was coming and I still showed up. Attending the workouts are, after all, still a choice I make every morning. Today, I chose to run.

My last Tempo outing was a little slower than I had hoped for: 29:08 for 4.13 miles

The morning started with a 1 mile warmup jog, followed by our usual drill set. It was still dark as we were getting ready to begin. Luckily, I know the trail by heart so the darkness didn't bother me. It actually serves as a shield for the distance being covered. Before the run, I downed some E-crank gel with water. It's a new one for me so I thought I'd try it. It didn't seem to bother my stomach, but it is a little larger than most gel packs so I didn't take all of it.

We lined up today and with the very thin crowd that showed up, I found myself near the front with the superfast people that I would only see before Gilbert said, "Go." Lisa, Mike and others were off and I was not far behind with Ann. Our first mile was about a 6:55. A little too fast, so I slowed it down slightly for Mile 2. At the turnaround point, the mile beeped and it was a 7:08. Gilbert wanted a negative split. He also said that on the way back we should FEEL like we want to run faster...oops... Unfortunately, the Garmin went a little nutty for the last two miles so my splits are not correct. One mile said I did a 6:11 pace and that's obviously incorrect because I'm alive to type about it.

I didn't really start getting exhausted until the last mile, but I was able to hang on although I knew I didn't have much left. The tempo run is one of discipline and patience. I still haven't really mastered it. I need to go out slower so that I've got energy to spare. I'm not complaining and I'm definitely happy with the improvement, although it's still not a PR.

BUT (drum roll please), I ended with a 28:19--almost 1 min faster than last time!! My Garmin measured long again at 4.13, but I think it's incorrect. If that's true, it would put me at a 6:51 pace per mile and that's a little aggressive. I'm guessing I avergaed about 7min miles when all was said and done!

Good confidence builder...

5 comments:

TTUTri said...

Stop second guessing the all-knowing Garmin! You've been burning down run courses all year - I'll bet it is right!!

greyhound said...

i heart tempo runs--but your tempo is "presto" or "vivace" and mine is merely "allegro"

Deb said...

Great job! Is the heat letting up fro you out there at all?

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Thanks for reminding me to "shut up and run!" It was a good day

Unknown said...

Man, you're getting fast! I gotta get back to practice...