About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, May 13, 2007

One Week to Half-Marathon, Two Weeks to Marriage Marathon!



I guess the meaning of a Bachelorette Party changes the older you get! While Shawn was having boys night out on Friday night, I had my own Ladies Night. I witnessed the obligatory men in tights with gyrating moves and big packages who may or may not be gay. Yep, that’s right. I had a girl’s night out at the ballet! Stephanie, Hava, Jill and I got all gussied up and hit the Belmont for an early dinner on Friday night. After indulging in entirely too much food (i.e. dessert), we walked over to the Paramount for a night at the Ballet. I should probably be ashamed to admit that I’ve never been to a Ballet before. Not even The Nutcracker! Needless to say, it was certainly a spectacle of beauty and grace.

So after my evening with the dancers, I did what every other single chick would do. I was home by 10:30p (so was Shawn) and we went to bed early. We had long runs to accomplish afterall!

Saturday, May 12, 2007
I ran with some Gazelles including Leslie, Shannon and two new Gazelles for the 14-Mile Mt. Bonnell Loop. None of us are really training for any major distance races so our goal was to simply enjoy and not push too hard. Shannon is still coming back from Boston and I’m trying to stay uninjured. It ended up being a much better run than anticipated as Shannon, Teek (her dog) and I managed to pick it up for the last half of the run. Our average pace was an 8:27 overall.
Mile 1: 9:05
Mile 2: 8:22
Mile 3: 9:28
Mile 4: 8:43
Mile 5: 8:48
Mile 6: 8:23
Mile 7: 9:11 (climbing Mt. Bonnell)
Mile 8: 8:42
Mile 9: 8:27
Mile 10: 8:05
Mile 11: 8:02
Mile 12: 8:13
Mile 13: 7:15

Shawn and I had an amazing Saturday, as it’s the start of my birthday week! We ended up having a couple of new photos taken (thanks Richard). We then had a great sushi feast at Uchi followed by a downtown carriage ride. It was a gorgeous night in Austin. We ended up at Lamberts BBQ in 2nd Street District where we headed upstairs to watch The Marshall Ford Swing Band play for an hour. I’m guessing it was the vodka in my martini, but we actually got out there and practiced our dancing in front of everyone! The best (or worst) part? We were the only ones on the dance floor!

Sunday, May 13th, 2007

We woke up early this morning and headed down to Johnson City for one of our favorite bike rides. It’s a tough and hilly 36-Mile ride that starts and ends at President Johnson’s Ranch. The roads aren’t crowded and they’re in great shape. It’s also very picturesque and filled with wildflowers, wildlife, farmland and rolling hills. If we tried hard enough, it felt like we were in Tuscany or somewhere along the Tour De France. Because we got an early start, we beat most of the intense heat and had a very good ride. We both felt strong throughout. I’m claiming the bad-ass award because we stopped about 20 miles in so that I could open some water and I noticed that I had been riding on a Half-flat back tire. No wonder some of those hills were tough. It was obviously a slow leak so I filled it up with some co2 and kept riding. We would stop every 7 or 8 miles so that I could refill. By the last 4 miles, it was really going flat, but I rode through it. I’m thinking I earned some extra credit on that one today! Time for some new tires from Jack and Adams!

36.11 miles
2:17:28
15.8 avg mph
I think this may be a best for us.

Afterward, we threw on our running shoes and headed out for about 22min for a little over 2.5 miles. Just a nice slow jog off the bike…

We followed that up with a trip to Pedernales State Park for a picnic of salads and fruit that we had packed in the morning. We threw down a blanket by the falls and had a nice peaceful lunch. We joked that most people would be stressing with two weeks before a wedding and we were having picnics and going on bike rides. Love it!!

Never to be one to call it quits, we hit Shawn’s gym on Sunday evening for a 45 minute swim. I wasn’t really keeping track, but I’m guessing it was between 2000-2500m of straight endurance freestyle. Because my gym’s pools are still shut down, I ended up getting a mini-membership to 24 Hr. Fitness so that I would have access to an indoor pool whenever I need it.

All in all, it was another rough weekend in Austin, Texas. With less than two weeks to the big Wedding Day, we’re both feeling calm, fit and relaxed.

2 comments:

greyhound said...

If those guys were bare chested and yet wearing bow ties----I'm not sure you can get away with the ballet euphemism.

Keep up the training together and you'll have a rich marriage. No lie. One of the most basic needs of the average guy--after the obvious one--is a recreational companion. Look it up. It's true.

Thon said...

taper

T-A-P-E-R

taper