About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Who Knew Wheezing Could Feel So Good?

I’m beginning to think that “exercise induced asthma” is another made-up clinical phrase for “just breathing hard.” For me, it’s not a reason to STOP exercising. It’s a reason to keep pushing.

This morning was my first time to do Mile Repeats at Zilker since last November. Amy came by my house this morning and we did the two-mile warmup jog to Zilker Park. The group was already doing drills, so we finished out and began the work.

I still don’t really know where I fall in the Tues/Thurs group pacw-wise, but today it was very apparent that Amy and I would quickly become our own little entity. Shannon (and her group) are running so well and FAST that there was no way I would try to keep up.

Coach said for those training for shorter races, do 4 repeats with 2min rest in between. For those training for some upcoming marathons (including Boston)—do SIX…WOW. Now, that’s stepping it up. I decided immediately I was going to be very happy with four. Here are my results from my last three workouts…

Mile Repeat Comparison

June 28th, 2006

#1 6:54 (way too fast)
#2 6:53 (the uphill direction)
#3 6:53
#4 6:48

July 26th, 2006

#1 7:21 (he told us to go out slow)
#2 6:56
#3 6:55
#4 6:47

November 29th, 2006

(only 3)
#1 7:11
#2 6:54
#3 6:54

…and the drumroll please…

Tuesday, February 27, 2007
#1 7:09
#2 6:49
#3 6:49
#4 6:43

Major PRs for me today and encouraging results after a three-month hiatus of Zilker Mile Repeats!

After the wheezing stopped, Amy and I slowly jogged the two miles back to the house congrtaulating each other on a hell of an effort.

Excuse me while I go look for my inhaler...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a PR workout for me too, which I found strange since it was warm and I felt tired going in. The mile was kind to us!
Shannon