About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Team Effort!

Absolutely gorgeous sunny day in Austin, Texas!

The AT&T Austin Half Marathon was a blast and very well-executed by the coordinators. The course was incredibly challenging. Oh hell. Who I am kidding? It was hard as hell. Yet, it was still beautiful taking runners through some of the most scenic areas of town....including a run around our state capitol building during the last mile.

The best news? Shawn had a PR in this ball-breaker course! 1:58:42
I'm afraid I took him out too fast in the first couple of miles. We can joke about it now, but by Mile 5 I think he was cursing the hell out of me! The hills just didn't give the runners much reprieve. There was one moment around Mile 9 where we were literally one block away from our house. I swear I thought he was going to turn the corner and head for the front door! But, you know what?? He didn't. My little rock star kept pushing and finished strong up some monster hills. I gotta say, it was actually very fun getting to do this race with no time goals, no need to push myself to the point of exhaustion, nothing to prove to anyone. Most of all, it was fun getting to do this race together and cross the lines holding hands.


That's what it's all about.

http://hollyreed.smugmug.com/photos/130403605-L.jpg

Here we are making the turn from Enfield to Exposition at Mile 9. Our house is a mere one block away!! I'm wearing the red hat and Gazelle shirt. He is next to me wearing all blue.



Congrats to all the runners who braved the monster course of the full and the half.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think Sean's PR was an hour faster than you listed! :) Even Better! Congratulations!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

oops--you're right!! I was dreaming of my own Marathon PR apparently. Even walkers think that's slow!

Making the change to 1:58:42!!

Deb said...

Sounds like a great time! You're blessed to have such a good group of friends that just happen to run! ;)

LoneStarCrank said...

Good job on forgoing the house visit in the middle. After getting past Exposition I was wishing for a nice comfy chair or bed.