About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Eagleman Has Landed!

I'm absolutely beat, but preliminary results are:

Swim: 49:58 I was totally trained, but COMPLETELY unprepared for the 3 foot waves in the bay. The Race Director called it the hardest swim ever. Even the pros were 5-6 minutes off from their usual times. It became more survival than swim for many of us.

Bike: 3:03 ish (18.6 mph avg) It was very windy today, but the course is flat, flat, flat. I spent the entire time in aero.

Run: 1:44 (8:00 min pace) That was exactly where I wanted to be for the run.

Total time with transitions (which I don't have memorized at the moment)
5:44:08

My previous best was a 6:22 so I'm thrilled! Believe it or not, it was still only good for 32nd in my age group out of about 80. I guess that's what happens when people like Natasha Bahdmann and Chris Legh do this race.

Believe it or not, in a strange twist and turn of events, I also received a slot to the Inaugural Ford Ironman 70.3 National Championship this November in Clearwater, Florida!

Full Race Recap coming soon...Bottom line--it was a good day mainly because I didn't drown :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

go carrie! florida here you come! i'm so proud of you. j

Deb said...

Congrats! Tough swim...that's my biggest challenge & fear. Great job girl!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!! It sounds like it was really tough, but you obviously prevailed. Congrats also on your qualification!!! YEAH BABY!

TTUTri said...

Woo Hoo! I actually woke my wife screaming that after listening to the audio post. Outstanding work! Congrats on an awesome PR!

Paco said...

Awesome job...Congrats!

greyhound said...

Great race and WOW you are fast on the run after all that mileage.

I heard on GYGO that you are a Buffalo Springs veteran. I am set to jump in June 25. Would love any pointers you could offer.

Anonymous said...

We were Chris Legh's homestay and even he said "It wasn't very pleasant".
Congrats on a great race. Sounds like your hard work paid off.