About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, June 05, 2006

6 Days--In Decent Form

With six days to go until the Half-Ironman Triathlon, I ended the day feeling like I’m in good form, in more ways than one.

Today was the first workout and official kickoff for the Gilbert’s Gazelles Fall Marathon Training Program. Last year, I was the newbie…the freshman who would be mocked and shoved in the locker. I wouldn’t join this group by myself and enlisted the partnership of my pal Mike. We stuck together during every workout. We were side-by-side for tempo runs, long runs, fartleks, track workouts. Everyone assumed that we were a couple. Hence, he earned the righteous title of “running hubby,” much to the dismay of his fiancée! But hey, I knew him first, damn it! In any event, I feel like I’ve come so far in the last year. I’m no longer scared or intimidated. I’m still in awe of people that I train with everyday, but in less than a year, I’m proud to say that I accomplished my goal of qualifying and running Boston. Now, I feel like a “veteran” coming back this year. My form is good and I’m running injury free. I’m a Sophomore now, with a lot to learn, but a little machismo and confidence to guide me. We did a circuit workout this morning, which was the perfect workout for race week. Nice, easy mileage to the track and then lots of core strengthening with step ups, sit ups, push ups, squats and lunges. Instead of taking the short way back to Runtex, Tanya and I took the longer 2.5 mile route and enjoyed the sunrise over Town Lake. Yep, I’m in good form for the race.

Tonight’s swim didn’t go as smooth, but my focus on form pulled me through a tough swim. Instead of hitting the T3 workout (mainly because I’m tired and really feel the need for taper and no more speed work), I went out to Hippie Hollow with my friend Cathy for an Open Water swim on Lake Travis. Let me preface for those that know anything about Hippie Hollow.


this is NOT ME!

It’s a “clothing optional” area of the lake. In fact, click on the link at your own risk. Not only is it a popular hangout for nude sunbathing, young kids, gays/lesbians, curious folks and perverts, it’s also a perfect location for swimmers (with suits and neon swim caps) who want a good open water swim. It’s buoyed off allowing a good safety zone away from the ski boats, pontoons and sailboats that circle Hippie Hollow on a regular basis looking to catch a glimpse of wieners and boobs. Hey, what can I say, “been there, done that!” In any event, there were about 15 swimmers who had no interest in whether a certain body part was pierced or circumcised. We were more interested in getting a good workout. Well, just like wieners come in all shapes and sizes (as I saw very clearly), so do waves…I’ve never swam in water so choppy. I had an incredibly difficult time finding any semblance of a rhythm or breathing pattern because of the waves. I kept switching breathing sides to minimize water intake. Because I was slightly panicked, I focused on form and just really tried to keep it clean. It really was one of the toughest things I’ve done more from a “fear factor” standpoint. There weren’t a lot of people around and there certainly weren’t lifeguards. I would stop every now and then to make sure I was still heading in the right direction. Somehow, I was. It was one of those swims where you don’t feel like you’ve covered any distance, but you get out of the lake and go, I swam that far?? Wow!! All in all, I swam for about 40 minutes and that includes my stopping and bobbing in the water occasionally to get my bearings. I always read about the squalls and waves in ocean water swimming and could never imagine it until tonight. I had to keep my mind focused on other things or I could’ve easily gotten motion sickness from the waves. The coach said it was approximately a mile. Not bad considering there were many moments I thought of abandoning all together. At least I know I can put in the time to get the swim done. Even though I was slow and the water was a tad tumultuous, I was ok with my form.

Back to the whole Hippie Hollow experience for a second and how it relates to my form. Let’s just put it out there…There are some “interesting” bodies out there and plenty of different shapes and sizes (in more ways than one!!) God knows my body is far from perfect. In fact, I’m the person that can finish a marathon and make a comment about my fat thighs or my belly goo. I look at race photos to see how fat my arms look. Believe me, I’m not pontificating about how wonderful my body is compared to everyone else…just the opposite, in fact. In a way, I’m envious of people who can just bare it all with no pretense. As horrific as it can be, it’s also a beautiful self-fulfilling thing to be so comfortable in your own skin. Although my body form has morphed a lot in the last few years (from size 14 to 4), I still have a ways to go from a comfort level. I have been nude at Hippie Hollow once, but I took my suit off after I was in the water. Maybe someday, I’ll have the self-confidence to walk around and be proud and content of who I am.

Until then, I’ll keep working on my form inside and out!!


The day ended in perfect form with a gorgeous, cloudless sunset over at the Oasis Restaurant. I haven’t been out there in a while and the view is spectacular. Every night when the sun goes down, the crowds applaud and the restaurant rings a bell. It’s like New Years every night. It was one of those, “I’m so glad I live here” nights.


Let’s hope I stay in good mental and physical form through the 70.3 Mile Race on Sunday…1.2mile swim, 56mile bike and 13.1 mile run.

4 comments:

Deb said...

beautiful in your own skin is what it's all about...not the size or measurements. I think I'm likin that "Hippie Hollow" local. ;) Just be careful you don't become a 'regular'.. haha..really, sounds beautiful. Great group, and a wonderful place to call home.

TTUTri said...

Good luck this weekend! Sounds like you are in a good place mentally and physically. Congrats on the swim. I never would have thought to go out to HH for a swim workout. The water condition is always such an X-factor - good idea get in a swim in new conditions.

Anonymous said...

I am very proud to be your running hubby. You are SO ready for your race!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful swim to have before your race. this is so cool. great job sweet carrie...j