About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, May 08, 2006

Working on my Core

I'm going to swim class tonight. I'm going to swim class tonight...

Because I rode and ran both Saturday and Sunday, I stayed at home this morning and did my hour-long core workout of arms and abs. As I was working on my external core, I started thinking about my internal core. How much work does it need? I spend time in gratitude and thanksgiving, but is it enough? Yes, I give of myself to others, but I'm still selfish. I've been a little disappointed lately as I've let my "spiritual side" wane a little bit. Simply put, I used to go to church weekly and was an active participant as a Stephen Minister . I used to minister and counsel those who were going through trials and tribulations, be it death, divorce, lonliness, etc. I would sit with my Care Receiver every week and just listen. Most of the time, that's all they needed. Just someone who would listen to their concerns and troubles. Plus, I would attend meetings twice a month with other Stephen Ministers. We would reflect and pray for those who were less fortunate. We would also listen to lectures from various non-profit organizations in Austin who needed help. It truly was a time for me to slow down and give thanks for all of the happiness in my life. Well, almost shamefully so, I had to go on a hiatus from that group because I had so many other obligations. I was changing jobs, training for marathons and tris, rehearsing with my comedy troupe, trying to build a healthy relationship with Shawn, etc. I just wasn't giving enough real energy to that organization. It wasn't fair to the other members who attended every group while I was just showing up when I could. Now, a year later, I'm itching to rebuild that part of my life. Perhaps not in the exact same way, but something. I'm not less busy, that's for sure. In fact, if anything, I'm more busy. That's no excuse.

So, in addition to working on my physical body, I'm making a renewed commitment to train my spiritual body. It has definitely lost some of the muscle that it used to have and it's time to get it back.


Nutrition:

6:30am w.w. toast with PBJ, cup of coffee
9:30am kashi, yogurt, blueberries, coffee and 2 bottles of water
12:30ish Chicken club with avacado. I removed the bacon and most of the cheese, side salad. This was a lunch with KEYE-42 TV. We got to meet one of the actors from CSI:NY. Can you tell I'm not a regular viewer?
3pm 1/2 of a Tall Caramel Lite Frapp...more water
6:15pm leftover Firebowl before swimming--probably a little too much
10pm a 1/2 cup of sugar free jello.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Great post! Isn't it great that we can buil upon our 'spiritual muscle' so easily? God's way of saying "I'm not goin anywhere!". What a great heart you have. To be aware...that's most important. You're there. P.S. I swam this morning and only because of reading your posts! You inspire me girl!