About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

“Prepare yourself for a change of events in your personal life.”
--my birthday fortune cookie 5/17/06


Yep, I was tired this morning. Yep, I had a slight case of “cotton mouth” when I woke up. Mostly, I was still uncomfortable from my gluttonous eating at 9:30pm the night before. It’s not like greasy tex-mex is ever really that good for you, but when consumed an hour before going to bed, it REALLY doesn’t sit well.

I agreed to take my co-worker Matt and his fiancée Maria to the airport this morning at 6:30am. They were jetting off to Carmel to get married on Saturday. After I dropped them off, I decided to hit the trail for a 7 mile birthday run. It ended up being more like a jog as the remnants of a few “champassions” and enchiladas made their presence known loud and clear. I wasn’t totally hung over, but let’s just say my mind and body isn’t usually this groggy on a morning run.

It was one of those mornings where you feel like you did something bad the night before. I woke up with a certain sense of dull guilt. Did I dance on the tables? No. Did I fling my bra around? No. Did I kiss a random person? No. You know why I felt guilty? Because I let myself go for a few hours long enough to inflict some caloric pain on my body. Isn’t that crazy?? I tried to spend my entire 7-mile run telling myself how much I deserve it while, at the same time, trying to run off some of the queso. In between rounds of the devil vs. angel boxing match that was going on in my head, I took some time to look around and take in the scenery. May is the most perfect month is Austin. It was a cool sunny morning (cool being 60 degrees). The air had a crispness to it. I spent time looking at my shadow. “Happy Birthday girlfriend.” Yep, I spoke to my shadow. “Is that back fat I see on you??” (just kidding)

I didn’t go fast during the 7 miles, but it was peaceful starting my birthday with the person who knows me best—my shadow.

I got to my office and it was decorated with confetti and balloons. Lunch was ordered in for my b-day. Our bookkeeper made me a cake (chocolate all the way with no nutz). Shawn and I are catching a drink after work (uhh...maybe) and heading to see some live music tonight. We’re leaving town for a weekend getaway on Saturday morning. Not sure where we’re going. I was just told to bring my bike because we’re going to do a long bike ride. That’s our idea of a romantic getaway…a punishing bike ride. God, I found the perfect man. I have a feeling I also picked the perfect fortune cookie today.

It's a good day to be 33. I was joking last night at Happy Hour. I'm now officially the same age as Jesus--WHEN HE DIED!! Let's hope my 33rd year is a little better than his was. If something happens to me, I don't think I'll be rising to life again on the 3rd day :-)

Nothing like spreading a little birthday humor and cheer!

Workout:
Town Lake 7 mile loop

Nutrition:
6:15am coffee and bottle of water. Does Tylenol have calories?
9:30am after my run...bowl of kashi with yogurt and a banana
12:30pm bite of BFL Bar
2pm Pei Wei Soba-Miso with buckwheat noodles, tofu and veggies, small piece of chocolate b-day cake.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Happy B Day woman! 33...What I would give. ;) Just kidding... 45 is treatin me just fine. Sounds like a wonderful brithday, workday, and a beautiful place to be in life. Congrads on it all and pop a few nacho's and bubbly for me!

Kin said...

Happy Birthday!