About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Back from a birthday weekend getaway to Brenham, Texas ...Well, it wasn't really a weekend getaway as much as it was a 24 hour whirlwind of ice cream eating, wine tasting, eating and a 54 mile bike ride thrown in for good measure. I ran 13.5 miles on Saturday morning with Amy, Ann, Thon and Mike. We haven't climbed Mt. Bonnell in a while and it actually felt good to attack it again. Felt strong until the last two miles. We still finished with a nice 8:36 pace overall. No complaints there.

Shawn and I left Austin around Noon and headed out. We stayed at a peaceful B&B with gorgeous views of the sunrise this morning. I only wish time was on our side a little more to enjoy it and relax more. Unfortunately, we were following a different timeline. The bike ride was great. So good to be out of Austin and on some good quality roads without too much traffic. We finished in 3hrs 29min. Of course, after we loaded the bikes in the car we went for a run. I ran 3 miles in 24:18. (8:06 pace) Again, I was pleased with how my legs felt. It was hot as hell and I definitely need to drink more fluids on my respective race days.

I was pretty much spent after that. We had to zoom back to Austin to attend an open house. Again, not my timeline. We just didn't have much time to spare. I drove about 2/3 of the way home and started zoning out. Shawn took over and we made it to the open house with plenty of time to spare. A nice nap awaited this afternoon before heading to church. My birthday week is officially over. Damn, I'm no longer the center of the universe :-)

I learned something this weekend that's hard to take for a girl who likes to be in control. Things don't always necessarily work on my timeline or in the order I want them to work. Just when you think things are going one direction, you're reminded that that's not always the case. Sometimes I can roll with the punches and other times when I feel backed against the ropes, I swing back in a flurry of panic. My constant challenge is knowing if and when I should give up the fight.

No comments: