About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Insulation for a Happy Life

After work, I met Shawn at the house that we're building. Up to this point, it's just been the framework and the roof. We walked in today and the insulation had been put in all around the house. Suddenly, it began to feel like a home--our home. It wasn't as drafty or breezy. It felt warm in the house (too warm in Austin!!). It felt comforting. It was beginning to feel like home.

I try to insulate my life with warmth and comfort as well. I associate with people who make me feel good and comfortable and I try to stay away from "the energy suckers" or those who are constantly down for no reason at all. I insulate my body with good food (ok-most of the time) and exercise to maximize performance and energy. I coat my life with warmth and security as much as possible. That doesn't mean that I don't take risks. It just means that I surround myself with love and support in any way I can. In an odd way, feeling "safe" allows me to take more risks. I know that if I stumble or fall, I'll still have the insulation of family, faith and friends to lift me up and continue to provide the safety and security I need to keep trying.

Insulation comes in many forms: family, friends, food, alcohol, activity, church, god, books, etc.
What I've also found is that you can't truly feel insulated until you feel secure within YOURSELF. I hope everyone finds their own insulation.

Workout Today: Spin/Elyptical Brick--I did the 5:45am spin class and then hopped on the elyptical for 4 miles. My legs were still a tad sore from the weekend so I didn't pound my joints on the treadmill.

Nutrition (or lack thereof)

5:15am 1/2 w.w. tortilla with PBJ
9:00am 1 1/2 cups Kashi with berries and yogurt, water, water, water
11:30am handful of baked pita chips
1:30pm 1/2 w.w. tortilla with PBJ, garden salad with tuna, 1 ritz cracker, 1 piece of chocolate brownie
6pm 2 cosmopolitans with co-worker Matt
8pm 1/2 margarita, chips and lots of guac, 1 1/2 mole enchiladas, black beans and rice, piece of Cathy's carnitas and Shawn's chicken. (too much food!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is your house? j

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»