About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Working it Right




“You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.”
Joe E. Lewis


Talk about a quote that hits you over the head. This was given to me in a birthday card last night by my friend’s Richard and Stephanie.

My friend Cathy arranged a Birthday Happy Hour for both me and my friend Susan. Both of us are celebrating another year full of milestones, mayhem, mishaps and merriment. It was yet another perfect night in Austin, Texas at the San Jose Hotel Courtyard. This quaint little patio was the perfect setting for good friends and even better alcohol. Old friends (Cathy, Jill and Wendy), ex-coworkers (Kim, Dave, Susan and Lesli), current co-workers (Matt and Abbey), some of my “running buddies” (Kim, Running Hubby Mike, Thon, Amy, Perry,

Richard and Stephanie) and the man of my dreams (Shawn) were all there to toast a drink—or ten—to another great year. Once again, I was reminded to live in gratitude for these blessings, health and friendships. Of course, I was also thankful for San Jose’s special concoction called a “Champassion”! This part champagne, part passion fruit juice and part raspberry drink make the night sparkle that much more! Plus, knowing that I was going to swill back a couple, I had actually gotten my ass up at 5:15am to head to the 5:45am Swim Class. I swam about 2700m from 5:45am to 7:15am so I was guilt-free (until dinner!).

You can definitely tell what tickles my fancy by the fabulous gifts I received. Thanks to all for your massage certificates, certificates to Runtex, Free Dinner, many Drinks, “Life is Good” shirt, Running Shorts, chocolate, flowers, massage oils and body lotions. I fancy myself a low-maintenance girl, but these gifts made me feel decadent.

At about 9pm, a few of us headed to East Austin where the real decadence began (or should I say self-destruction!) We slammed down some greasy Tex-Mex at Las Palmas Restaurant. Chips, salsa, queso, combo fajitas and a myriad of tortilla-like products filled with cheese…ahhhhh. I tried to be submissive, but was quickly reminded to “live it up!” It's my birthday for crying out loud!!! I really do struggle every day with granting myself permission to just let it go every now and again. Today was one of those days.

Thanks to everyone for being there to help me “work it right” and take full advantage of the one life I’m given. I'm glad I only have one life to live. But with friends and family like mine, I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie--

I came upon your blog quite by accident, while reading a local Santa Barbara blog. I clicked on "next blog" and found myself reading about some chick in Texas (you) that has made running and exercise a big part of her life. Usually, I would have just exited and left you alone, but I was getting a bit of inspiration from your site, so I thought I'd write and says thanks!

The hook between us is that I have been a couch & chair potato for several years, and recently joined Leukemia and Lymphoma society's Team In Training to train for a Half Marathon. This is why your story of the ex-boyfriend-saga-turned-fitness -catalyst

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie--

I came upon your blog quite by accident, while reading a local Santa Barbara blog. I clicked on "next blog" and found myself reading about some chick in Texas (you) that has made running and exercise a big part of her life. Usually, I would have just exited and left you alone, but I was getting a bit of inspiration from your site, so I thought I'd write and says thanks!

The hook between us is that I have been a couch & chair potato for several years, and recently joined Leukemia and Lymphoma society's Team In Training to train for a Half Marathon. This is why your story of the ex-boyfriend-saga-turned-fitness -catalyst resonated with me. I am getting a huge lift from training for my race, while helping others.

So, thanks for sharing your story. I know that a Half Marathon is a mere easy day for hard core runners like yourself, but I think this sport offers a similar high at all levels. Many best wishes to you and your friends out there in Texas.

P.S. I'm at
www.humbugfarms.com
and
www.thepaintedcave.com

Paco said...

Happy Birthday!

Regards,

Frank