About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Musical Memories

When I was younger, I wanted to be a famous singer. I thought it was a problem that I couldn't sing until I heard most of theartists out there today. What is it about music that sparks memories and sends shivers down your spine when you least expect it?

Journey's "Open Arms" reminds me of when our dog Cocoa "disappeared" (Mom says she gave him away...yeah, right) We still haven't forgiven Mom and Dad for that one :-) I still think of that fugly little animal whenever I hear that song which, 20 years later, is still frightfully A LOT.

Kenny and Dolly's "Islands in the Stream" reminds me of my childhood boyfriend Spence. There's nothing like two 12-year-olds roller skating to, "And we rely on each other...ah ah...From one lover to another...ah ah."

...and then there's "Endless Love." I remember watching that movie my Freshman year in high school at an all-girl slumber party. We all were bawling at the end when the song played over the credits. I still get chills when I hear that damn piano intro with "My love...there's only you in my life; the only thing that's right."

High school is totally full of musical memories and flashbacks that ignite anger, pain and downright giddiness.
I was dumped to Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me." I made out to Whitesnake's "Is this Love," I did the "running man" at all the school dances to every Bobby Brown song and Bell Biv Devoe's "Do Me Baby." I attempted to throw my bra onstage at a New Kids concert, but seeing as though I was in the balcony, I think it just landed on the 9 year old girl who was 2 rows in front of me on the ground level. That's probably the first time she ever saw a bra.

Ahhh...there are so many more musical memories that would take years to compile.

My point?? I love music because it just does SOMETHING to you. I'm such a total cornball. This morning during spin class, they played an 80's mix of "We Will Rock You" followed by "Eye of the Tiger." I immediately started pedaling faster and working with more intensity. I was instantly transported back to the Boston Marathon (and every other marathon) because all along the course you hear "Eye of the Tiger" blasting out of stereos, houses, cars and boomboxes. Just the intro gets me pumped. C'mon do it with me now..." bum...bum, bum, bum...bum, bum, bum...bum, bum, bum." Don't you want to sprint right now for no good reason??? :-) Can't you feel your heart rate rising?? "Rising up out on the street..." I don't even know what the hell the lyrics say and I don't really care. That's just one of those songs that gets me going and makes me laugh at the same time! It certainly made the SPin Class go much faster!

This morning's workout was great: Spin 45 minutes between 80-85% of Max HR--I didn't cool down, but I immediately hopped on the treadmill for a 3 mile run at approx 9 min pace. I certainly wasn't going for speed. My goal is to simply work on that T2 from bike to run.

I finished it up with about 25 minutes of stretching and core work.

"It's the Eye of the Tiger. It's the thrill of the fight rising up to the challenge of our rivals. And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night and he's watching us all with the Eye......of the Tiger."

Nutrition:
5:15am 1/2 w.w. tortilla with PB and honey (3 bottles of water at gym)
9:15am kashi, soy milk, blueberries
12:15pm Vivos Mexican--yikes! some tortilla chips, 2 puffy tacos-one with tofu, one with chicken, brown rice and refried beans
5pm carrots, tortilla with PBJ

1 comment:

Deb said...

what a great post sister! I was thinking the same thing all day??! How music effects me and where I'm at. Good for you...to remember..to allow yourself to 'be there' again..to re-live those times. Kind of puts 'today' in perspective, doesn't it? Great workout too!