About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Another Saturday Indoor Training Ride

In 24 hours, the weather in Austin went from rainy and 40 degrees to sunny and 65 degrees. Thank goodness the positive shift happened to take place on the morning of the AT&T Austin Marathon/Half Marathon!

Saturday, February 16th
The weather didn't cooperate, however, on the day I was supposed to ride 75 miles. Many T3'ers were switching their schedules around to run Saturday and ride Sunday, but I was running the Half-Marathon so there was no switcheroo for me. The weather conditions were downright Seattle-ish and deteriorating from there, so I set the ol' trainer up in the living room and proceeded to settle in for 4hrs 15min of stationary cycling. Yep--that's over 4 f*cking hours of mind-blowing boredom. To pass the time I watched an hour-long Ellen Degeneres stand-up comedy DVD (she's my comedic ideal), the Johnny Depp "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," a 45-minute "spinervals" training DVD and some of the Ironman World Championships that were on yesterday! If it's raining on race morning (which would be an oddity in Tempe since it is the DESERT), I promise I won't wuss out. I just didn't want to risk another illness or bike crash on the slick roads. It's not worth it to me.

So, I mixed up gears, tempo and trained for an 18.0 mph average, which is right where I should be for an indoor ride.

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to stretch as I hopped in the shower and we immediately headed over to the race expo to pick up our packets. From there, hubby had to work for the evening and I was volunteering at the official Race Pasta Dinner. (Jill-you put on a fantastic event by the way) I was home and in bed by 9:30am for what was going to be a terrific and picteresque race morning!

I had to run 20-miles this week so my morning started around 5am. I left the house around 5:30am to do my 7 mile warmup before the Half-Marathon even started. Hubby Shawn was shooting for a PR of under 1:47:58. Could he do it? We met around 6:30am and jogged to the start. Fireworks kicked off this wonderful event and we were off...

Exciting Half-Marathon report coming soon

No comments: