About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'm Keeping Score



Today was made for lounging. Today was made for lying on the couch, reading a book, watching a movie, catching the Olympics. Today was made for a nice massage. That's what the angel on my shoulder was telling me at 5:15am when the alarm beeped me out of slumber on my new tempurpedic neck pillow.

And then, his brother the devil showed up at 5:15:01. He spoke loud and clear. "Time to get up girlfriend. You've got a 12 miler this morning." The devil didn't seem to care that it was raining. He didn't seem to care that Shawn was next to me and my cat had nestled onto my head. It was Saturday and it's a long run day. "Ok, Ok," I said. "You win again. Besides if I decided to sleep in, you'd only torture me for the rest of the day." Score one for the devil.

The devil has a way of doing that. Our run was pretty uneventful, except for the spattering of intermittent rain. I wasn't running particularly well at first, but I just kept telling myself that it was only 12 miles. My legs felt stiff even though I hadn't actually run in two days. I just kept telling myself to get through since I had a deep tissue massage scheduled for 2pm.

I got back home and finished coffee and breakfast by 10am. Oh lord, I've got downtime. What do I do with that? The angel very calmly whispered, "Take a nap, Carrie. It's ok. Allow yourself the freedom to just relax." Meanwhile, the devil had other plans for me. "Carrie, you only ran 12 miles today. Get your ass to the gym and go to spin class, lift weights, keep sweating. Don't be lazy. Look at your pretty bike on the wind trainer. Get some riding in today." Score one for the angel. As loud as the devil was, I heeded the advice of my angel and took an hour-long nap.

I think it was the devil who woke me up and said, "You've got too much stuff to do today. Get up and get something accomplished. You can't lay around all morning and then justify a massage!" Score one for the devil. I got up and did the mundane tasks of living alone... 3 loads of laundry, mopping the kitchen floor, vaccuuming the carpet, paying some bills, emptying the dishwasher. Jesus, I'm starting to sound like Cinderella.

My massage was painfully wonderful. I tried a new person on Thon's recommendation and I wasn't disappointed. It was a great mixture of Deep Tissue/Sports and Therapeutic. I wasn't in my Zen-mode, but I wasn't in pain either. It's about time I took care of myself. Score one for the angel.

"Oh Carrie, " Damn, it was the devil again. "You've got to go to the grocery store and make some snacks for Richard's party tonight. Plus, you've got to look for a birthday gift for that other party tomorrow. Don't go home and watch a movie. Get to the grocery store. Score one for the devil.

The grocery store is always an interesting battle between good and evil. Tonight's party is a bit of a post-marathon bash and a simultaneous viewing of "The Aristocrats" movie. Honestly, the goal is to eat lots of crappy food and drink lots of alcohol. Will I do that?? Who knows. I tried to buy really bad food, but here's what I came home with: fat free chicken, reduced fat crescent rolls, fat free cream cheese (all for my low-fat version of yummy chicken salad rolls) and Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Score one for the angel.

Today was one of those relaxing, yet busy days. The days where you feel refreshed because you've rested and gotten a lot of tasks accomplished. In my book, that's another point for the angel.

For those keeping score: ANGEL 4, DEVIL 3
You suck Devil. Now, go to hell. (wait...you're already there)


Workout: 12 miles with Amy, Ann and Gretchen
Runtex to scenic, back to Congress 6:00am in the rain, 8:35 overall pace

Nutrition:
5:20am 1/2 piece of wheat bread with PB, 1/2 cup of oatmeal
9:30am coffee, cup of kashi Go Lean Crunch with mixed fruit and organic fat free yogurt
1:00pm I split a whole wheat tortilla in half and made one 1/2 fat free chicken salad and the other 1/2 turkey and hummus. Minute Maid Raspberry Juice.
4:30pm I was making chicken salad and was snacking to taste
8:00pm 2 of my small chicken salad croissants, about 20 tortilla chips with salsa, 1 sugar free chocolate chip cookie, Stoli Vanilla Vodka with fresca (highly recommended) and one margarita.

No comments: