About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The 4 P's of Training

Me and My Perfect Training Partner

First of all, before I even get into the body of my blog today, let me just say that running is funny. My friend (and future Dallas White Rock Training Partner) Thon attempted to run the Freescale Austin Marathon this past Sunday. His was a saga that no words can describe. Well, maybe they can. Here is his brief story that aired on the local NPR Station today, as written and read by Thon himself. Freaking brilliant.
http://publicbroadcasting.net/kut/news/content/881562.html

Now...The 4 P's of Training.

For some reason, I can regurgitate the 4 P's of Marketing: Product, Price, Place, Promotion.
Wow, I guess that degree paid off since I now have an illustrious career in advertising. As Amy and I were beginning our hellish workout this morning at 5:45am, we realized that training is a lot like sex. Don't ask how we got started on THIS tangent. Mom, if you're reading this, it's all what I've been told by others.

They also both also involve 4 P's:
1.) Partners
2.) Protection
3.) Preparation
4.) Planning

1.) Partners: One must have a good and compatible partner. In training, if you're partner is too fast or slow, it often affects the outcome of the workout. Either you're utterly exhausted or completely dissatisfied. Sometimes the workout is long and hard. Sometimes it's fast and over before you know it. The same holds true for sex. If your partner isn't compatible, bad things can happen. See above descriptions.

2.) Protection: As in sex, training should often involve some sort of protection. Due to a recent assault on the trail, Amy has resorted to carrying mace on our longer runs. We're protected. We also protect ourselves in other ways. Reflective clothes, knee braces...whatever we need to have a safe and fulfilling workout. Ahhh...protection during sex should never be overlooked so that both parties feel safe and secure at all times. I don't necessarily recommend mace, but to each his own. I shall not judge.

3.) Preparation: A good workout involves preparation. Have you chosen the right outfit? Did you remember to wear your HR monitor? Did you eat enough for breakfast? Most athletes are typically overprepared for any situation. If only the same held true for sex. Sometimes, preparation is difficult. However, it doesn't hurt to think ahead. Did I bathe and groom today? Have I had an adequate amount of alcohol? Did I bring extra clothes so that I don't have to do the walk of shame? Preparedness should never be overlooked.

4.) Planning: Sometimes planning goes awry in workouts, but that's ok. You learn to live with it. You can't account for an occassional flat tire, 20 mph wind gusts, freezing rain on Marathon morning. Along with a good plan, athletes should also have flexibility with that plan. Once again, the same holds true for a good romp. It's good to plan a nice romantice evening, but what the hell, sometimes it just happens wherever and we should be ok with that. As long as you are satisfied with the outcome, all is well.

So, the moral of my tangent is: Before you have sex with someone, take them on a long run first.

Today's Workout: 20 min warmup, 2 x 10 min at Marathon Goal Pace with 2 min jog in between, 3 x 5 min at Half-Marathon Goal Pace with 1 min jog in between, 10 x 1 min FAST with :15 job in between . We ended up going about 9 miles today once the workout was complete.

Nutrition:
5:20am PBJ on Whole Wheat Bread
9:20am Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Uncle Sams with yogurt and blueberries, water and coffee
1:30pm Jerk Salmon Caesar Salad, diet pepsi and one container of Jello sugar free chocolate pudding, bottle of water
5:30pm 1/2 spinach tortilla with hummus (snack before dinner)
6:30pm 1/2 margarita, 1 glass Shiraz, couple of chips, dinner salad and 1 beef taco on whole wheat tortilla.

7 comments:

Pearl's Life said...

What a great post and blog! You sound like a blast! My best friend and I are planning a trip to Austin the end of April... If you have any great trips of must see places...I would greatly appreciate it. Ciao!

Unknown said...

Damn, what a hot couple!

Anonymous said...

is that your honey? and you look freakin' hot. j

Anonymous said...

oh and i LOVE the pink...j

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Sam--Austin is awesome! I'll definitely provide some "must see" places. You will NOT be disappointed!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Erine and J:

I wanted to make sure that Shawn knows that he fits all of my 4 Ps!!

Anonymous said...

i now have kashi go lean crunch in my cabinets! j