About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And So It Begins...

HERE I COME!!



So—as best I can tell, here is how my IM Training weeks will look for the next several months.


MON: Rest, very light running and/or Jack and Adams Core

TUES: T3 Swim Class AM/ T3 Spin Trainer Class PM or outdoor ride

WED: Gazelle Running Workout

THURS: T3 Swim Class AM/ T3 Spin Trainer Class PM or outdoor ride

FRI: T3 Strength/Core and Barton Springs Open Water Swim

SAT: Long Bike Rides followed by short runs

SUN: Long Run Days


A few of things stand out right off the bat:

1.) It looks like I’ll really only be able to get to one solid Gazelle workout a week. It scares me a bit that it might mean that my running speed and strength will suffer. However, I just have to trust that the cross-training and extra cycling will be just as effective, if not better for my body in the long run. (no pun intended)

2.) My long runs will mostly be on Sundays. I know this will shift a lot, but my T3 coaches really believe in doing your long runs the day after the long bike ride so that you can experience the whole “running on tired legs” feeling. Again, I’ll miss the camaraderie of my Gazelle runs, but it opens the door to create new relationships with T3 teammates.

3.) Because long bike rides are on Saturdays, my days of Mi Madres breakfast tacos are quickly coming to an end.

4.) That's 2-3 runs, 3 bikes, 3 swims, 2 strength/core workouts: 11 workouts, only 7 days in a week.

I guess this is what they mean when they say that training involves many sacrifices and leaving your comfort zone.



I...am...

4 comments:

Mike said...

no more more mi madres? That bites the big one.

Richard said...

No tacos? Some sacrifices are just too much to make.

Still, I recommend you keep a log book and just have them all the week after IM is over. That way, everybody's happy.

Mm.... tacos....

Maybe we need a mid-week lunch meetup?

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Oh yeah--I'm digging the midweek Mi Madres fuel up! Carne Guisada and Chalupas are so totally on the diet plan!!

lizzie lee said...

You are in very good shape. Congrats for being ready for an IRON-PLAN....

sincere-lee
lizzie lee