About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, March 12, 2007

BOD POD RESULTS

Just like marriage, you take it for better or worse:


FIRST of all, here are the general guidelines for Body Fat percentages:

Risky (high body fat) men: >30% women: >40%
Too much fat can pose serious health risks. Talk to Doc about safely modifying this composition

Excess Fat men: 21-30% women: 31-40%
Indicates an excess accumulation of fat over time

Moderately Lean men: 13-20% women: 23-30%
Fat level is acceptable for good health

Lean men: 9-12% women: 19-22%
Lower body fat levels than many people. This range is excellent for health and longevity.

Ultra Lean men: 5-8% women: 15-18%
Fat levels sometimes found in elite athletes

Risky (low body fat) men: <5% women: <15%
Too little body fat can present health risks, especially for women


My Results:

5’1” Female
Age 33

Lean Mass: 74.6% (89.3 lbs)
Fat: 25.4% (30.4 lbs)

Total weight = 119.7 lbs
BMI = 22.5 (Normal weight = 18.5-24.9)
Resting Metabolic Rate = 1100 calories (that means I burn 1100 calories a day by doing nothing. That explains why I’m constantly hungry)

So-My Thoughts??
I was thrilled when I first glanced at the results because as a former overweight person (having tipped the scales at 160), I was prepared for the worst case scenario of being told I was overweight or having excess fat. So, when she printed my results and I fell within the very healthy “moderately lean” category I was happy to say the least. I’ve never been officially told I was in the “lean” category. That’s like someone saying I’m hot and sexy. It’s just not my thing. Hot and sexy—uh, never. I’m more of a Cabbage Patch Kid than a Barbie anyday.
“Moderately Lean” is a great place to be. It’s a healthy place to be. It’s a fit place to be. I’ve worked my freaking ass off (and more) to get here.

I want to be a little better. I want to be LEAN.

I want to fall between 19-22% body fat. Now, some obsessive compulsive athlete-types would automatically want to shoot for the Ultra Lean or Elite Athlete category. While that would be awesome, it’s not my goal. I’m not an elite athlete. I don’t get paid by any sponsors to train. I enjoy food, wine, live music and excesses way too much to deprive myself just to get down to that level. I don’t train to win races. I train to enjoy the process of completing something I never thought possible.
The good news? I only have to drop 4-5lbs to get to that “Lean” percentage between 19-22%. It’s attainable and very much within reach.
Cardio-wise I’m there. I’m beyond there. Now it’s time to incorporate a little weight training to top it off. I’ve got 10 weeks to drop 4-5lbs. Why 10 weeks? Because then I get to walk down the aisle as an official LEAN person.

Read about the Bod Pod Fitness Test here:



3 comments:

Mike said...

Excellent! To get to LEAN, just focus on the GTBHWLC.

Deb said...

That's awesome..can you beleive you'll be walkin that aisle soon?! ;)

Anonymous said...

GTBHWLC??? Please share.