About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Four Mile Tempo Run Comparison

Well, I haven't done this one since March so it was hard to say what would happen. Coach was a little disgruntled as attendance for the tempo run was a little dismal. He (I hope) jokingly said that we're going to do tempo every week to make sure people don't skip it. Here are my comparisons from the last time.

March 14th, 2006

Mile 1: 7:05
Mile 2: 6:39
Mile 3: 6:49
Mile 4: 6:58

Last .04 Mile :15

Total: 27:49 for 4.04 Miles(6:53 pace)

July 12, 2006

Mile 1: 7:10
Mile 2: 7:12
Mile 3: 6:42
Mile 4: 7:07

Last .13 Mile :55

Total: 29:08 for 4.13 Miles (7:03 pace)

As suspected, I was off from my PR, but I don't think it has anything to do with my fitness level. Humidity was definitely a factor as my breathing was labored from the get-go. With about 1 1/2 to go, I was barely hanging on. Fortunately, this wonderful (and new) Gazelle stuck with me and kept giving positive reinforcement. "You can do it." "We're almost there." i think he was also convincing himself, but I didn't hear him breathing nearly as loud as I was!! It wasn't until after we finished and I had cooled down a bit that I could ask him his name and learned that it was Mike. Thanks Mike! I definitely needed the encouragement. Otherwise, I would've definitely continued to slow down.

Another factor was definitely my overall fatigue from a week of tough workouts. Plus, this tempo run has a way of sucking you back into the reality that "running is hard." I have no doubt that I'm still suffering from some post-Boston and post-Half Ironman fatigue as well.

Also, because of a slight trail detour, my Garmin measured this route longer than before, thus adding extra time. It doesn't matter. Even without the extra distance, I was still about :45 seconds slower during the "4 mile" part. Overall, I'm pleased with the first tempo run in 4 months! It's a good benchmark to start from for the future runs.

After the run, we cooled down a bit and then worked on balance drills with Coach.
The best part? Thon didn't puke this time. But, he did beat me by about 15 seconds!

3 comments:

TTUTri said...

GREAT RUN!

Man - everytime you post about your running I think to myself : "Self, you gotta get into a training group."

At my "tempo" pace you would have been done, finished with work, and been drinking a fine margarita before I had come in.

Way to GO!

Anonymous said...

Great story, but I better not be replaced by this "Mike" guy. You only have room for one running hubby named Mike.

Great job on the tempo, I ran 5 yesterday in the 104 degree heat index weather. It seriously wiped me out, but I still managed to average sub 8:30's.

Deb said...

You are fast girlie! Not sure how you do it... that humidity would kill me.