About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Photographic Self-Portrait of my Stomach



Anyone got any food? It's been 45 minutes since my last meal and I.AM.STARVED!


It's my last official Hell Week for the IM Taper Begins!! My T3 Teammate Michelle made a funny observation yesterday. She said she can totally tell who the IMAZ athletes are right now because we're all grumpy, tired and on the verge of complete burnout. I was *thisclose* to skipping my core/cycling workout last night. It was sunny and 70 degrees and the last thing I wanted to do was go to the equivalent of a dark, sweaty warehouse and train like an animal. I was having an internal temper tantrum of a 5-year-old.

"I don't wanna go," my mind said.


"I know, I know," my conscious mind said back. "I'm not in the mood either. It's a perfect Austin day, the SXSW music festival is kicking into gear and there are a million other places I'd rather be. However, we only have a few more days in the trenches. Suck. it. up."

I'm glad I did.


Tuesday, March 11th
5:45am 1.5 hour Swim Workout (3200m) and then an evening 30-min core class followed by 1.5 hours of my T3 Indoor Spin workout. Last night was particulary tough as we worked the big chain ring for most of the time. Sweating buckets...quads throbbing...digging deep.


Wednesday, March 12th
I got up this morning and ran 13.75 miles with Thon and Amy at a comfortable 9:10pace. Amy is heading to Miami for Spring Break and wanted a "longish run" before she hopped on a plane. My body needed a recovery run as opposed to the speed and intensity I threw at it earlier this week. It probably didn't need almost 14 miles, but that's what I gave it.


Good news!! Only one workout today!!! YAY :-)



Rest of the week plans:
Thursday: AM Swim, PM Core and PM Spin
Friday: 4000m swim at Barton Springs
Saturday: 100+ mile ride/ small run brick
Sunday: 15-16 mile run (I think)

7 comments:

Trihardist said...

i've noticed that a bottomless stomach and recovery/taper go hand-in-hand; have you experienced that? is that what's going on now?

tracie said...

lmao

eat up!!!

Mnowac said...

Oooh that sounds so tough! Hope you feel less "burned out" soon! Hey I just realized you live in Austin, have you ever seen Graham Weber preform? He's an old friend of mine that does folk music in your neck of the woods, you should check him out!

go eat something! I'm having a great peach right now!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'm about to start my taper and I definitely think that's what is going on with the ol' appetite. My training is at an all-time peak this week and my appetite is along for the ride :-)

As for Graham Weber--never heard of him, but I'll definitely be on the lookout! Austin is definitely a hotbed of great music :-) Too bad I'm always in bed by 10p these days!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Funny photo!! But it sounds like you're making good use of every calorie being consumed. You are like a high performance machine!

KCWoodhead said...

I just came on your blog linked from Greyhound's and all I have to say is I'm RIGHT there with you!!! I just had ice cream and a cookie for an afternoon snack with no shame at all (2nd time this week!).

Sounds like you are ready to kick butt at IMAZ!

triguyjt said...

bottomless pit...65 feet.

i can hear seinfeld..

how bottomless can a pit be if its 65 feet???? if its 65 feet, then its not bottomless.. I mean really"

ironman is coming...good luck