About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Now What...

I'm scared. I started this Blog/Journal as a homage and way to stay honest for my Boston and Eagleman training. I'm proud to say that both of those events are successfully "in the can." Now, almost like clockwork, I find myself asking, "Now What?" I'm utterly scared to death of having nothing on the calendar. Since I started participating in these endurance sports in 2001-2002, I've always had something else on the calendar. I'm not defined by the sports. I'm driven by them in many ways. At this moment, I'm not exactly sure what's next. Dare I say it? I'm slightly burnt out at the moment. Ironically, it's not the physical pressures, but the mental exhaustion. Both the Ironman 70.3 World Championship Race and the Dallas White Rock Marathon are up in the air at the moment. They are slated for November and December respectively. While that's plenty of time to train effectively, both also fall during the time of my peak time as Race Director for Austin's "Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot." It's a 5 mile/1mile/Kid's K event that attracts 10,000 people on Thanksgiving morning. It's an undertaking of enormous proportions for about 6 weeks in October-November. Training for two major races, working, Managing the Race and maintaining healthy relationships is almost to much to think about. I continue to work through it and weigh the pros and cons. The main thing to remember is that I do all of these things (including Race Directing) because IT'S FUN! I love it!! As long as it stays that way, I should be able to manage.

In the meantime, I'm slowly but surely getting back into the swing of life and attempting to find some balance between work and play. I'll officially start running with the Gazelles again on Monday morning and take it from there. I had a wonderful 7 1/2 mile jog this morning with Richard and Thon. It was great catching up with them as we shared our frustrations, worries and goals for the upcoming months. It also felt good running with no real agenda!

I received this humorous email today from my friend and very first running Coach Monica. It made me giggle and think.

A LITTLE ZEN FOR TODAY

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky tire.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

4. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

5. Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

6. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

7. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

8. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

9. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

11. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

12. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

13. Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

14. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

15. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

16. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

17. Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

18. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

19. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

20. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

21. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

22. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night."Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."----Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Now what" is that you just let yourself enjoy life for awhile....then start training for White Rock with your Gazelle buds. ;-)