About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Monday, February 01, 2010

Let the Week Begin!

I know it's a cold and dreary Monday morning in Austin (one of the few that we have), but I'm still feeling a bit euphoric from an amazing weekend! Of course, I just also made coffee and a "green" smoothie with spinach, celery, cucumber and pineapple, so some of my "buzz" may be related to that.

I had a great time at the T3 Happy Hour on Friday night! Everyone looks so happy, healthy and ready to take on 2010. It was a good reminder that, even though I can get down in the dumps sometimes, this is certainly a group of people I can count on to lift me out of the funk. With a debilitating injury, it's easy to want to hide your face and sulk in seclusion. These damn triathletes won't let it happen and I'm grateful for it! I always leave with a smile (and a little buzz--thanks for the vino Coach Logan!)

The Saturday team ride was moved to a trainer ride indoors, so I hopped on the Computrainer and rode the Oceanside 70.3 course at home with the help of a couple of magazines and podcasts to kill the time. As with most long rides, my focus was on cadence and a steady effort throughout. 3 hours and 21 minutes later, I was done! Very pleased overall because my hip joint didn't hurt (although my right food and sciatic did--note in the pain journal) Most importantly, I kept my heart rate on the lower end and I can't tell you how good it felt to cross that little 3D Finish Line feeling strong. Everyone (including the CT folks) say that riding the Computrainer is so much harder than the real thing. I can only hope this holds true on race day! I don't have huge time expectations for this race, but one of my goals for 2010 is to feel stronger and more confident on the bike (especially since my running has been limited). I think I'm getting there, at least on the indoor trainer. I won't really know until I'm riding outside on a regular basis again (hopefully this coming weekend!)

On Saturday afternoon, Shawn and I went on the Modern Homes Tour in Austin. Some cool houses were on display including the one that everyone wanted to see---the house on Mt. Bonnell Road with the lap pool on top overlooking Lake Austin.

Yes, it can be yours for a cool $3.5 Million!

Sunday was special for me because it marked my longest run in about 3 months! I met Elizabeth, Richard, Jim, Amanda, Gordon and Jess Sunday morning at 6:45am to run about 11 miles. I'm fully FULLY aware that the steroid injection into my hip helped alleviate some of the usual pain, but it was worth it to feel like myself again--even for just a few hours. I know the steroid injection isn't a cure. In fact, if northing else, it's an indication that, yes, there IS a problem in the hip joint that needs to be addressed. I just can't verbalize how liberating it felt to be able to tackle the Lady Bird Trail just like the "good old days." OK--it wasn't just like the good old days. It was about a minute per mile slower, but my 9:00min overall pace per mile felt very easy and relaxed--another confidence boost knowing that it's not all gone. 

Had breakfast on Sunday morning with Shawn and the Stanfords to plan our May Utah trip and then headed to a Sunday "Bunny Brunch" with several girlfriends. Yummy!! While my vegan meatballs raised a few eyebrows (Anna), they were well-received overall. Of course, there was also an enormous selection of quiche, salmon, spring rolls, salad, hummus, fruit and other wonderful dessert items!  Needless to say, I was in a food coma by 3pm, which was perfect because I needed a nap before meeting my friend Tracy for my first-ever Bikram Yoga class!

We all have irrational fears, and bikram yoga was one of mine. I can speak in public with ease, but the thought of bikram yoga had me in knots. I also knew that it was a fear I wanted to conquer. It had everything to do with feeling inadequate and being afraid of comparisons to those who are so much better--or flexible, or experienced, or whatever. I'm not a "real yogi" like those people who can bend themselves into pretzel-like contortions. I was also afraid of the actual room conditions. 90 minutes in 105 degree heat. I'd heard horror stories of people getting sick, passing out, etc and not being allowed to leave the room! Nothing induces panic like the thought of being suffocated!!! Well, I did meet my friend Tracy at Bikram yoga last night and...it was hard...it was intense...it was hot...but it was awesome!  While not the traditional yoga flow I'm accustomed to, this required a lot of mental relaxation to hold the poses and remain calm and relaxed in the conditions. No one judged me when I couldn't get all bendy like some people. The instructor (although he sounded like and auctioneer at times) was strict, but empathetic and constantly reminded people to just take a break if they needed to. Sometimes that's all you need to hear.  Fortunately, I had a great class. I was able to hit about 90% of the poses and never felt sick or light headed (common for beginners).  It was a great way to end the week and prepare for this next one.

So, as I sit here on a Monday morning contemplating my meetings, obligations and appointments for the week, I'm grateful that I just completed a spectacular weekend filled with a wonderful balance of friends, fitness, relaxation and food!

3 comments:

Ulyana said...

It was great meeting you yesterday :)

I'm glad you had a great weekend!

ShirleyPerly said...

What an AWESOME lap pool! My sis took me up on a road on Mt Bonnell one time and I could tell some of those houses were pretty nice just from the outside.

Great to hear the weekend workouts were pain-free!

CoachLiz said...

Yoga does not intimidate me but cortisone injections scare the ever livin' snot out of me. After having some local anestesia in my toes for ingrown toenail removal, shots are not my favorite things in the world.