About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
I'll make you laugh, or break my neck trying. This is usually accomplished with daily bouts of swimming, biking and running. A former "chub-a-holic," I got fit and healthy the good old fashioned way and went from a mid-pack athlete to top age group runner and triathlete. I'm a Writer and USAT Level 1 Certified Triathlon Coach. I guess that makes me part Tina Fey and part Jillian Michaels. Visit my coaching site at www.fomotraining.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'm Only Human

The Today Show is broadcasting live from New Orleans for Mardi Gras. All is well with the world! I can't believe today is Mardi Gras. Where is this year going? I'm a good little Catholic girl(yes, I'm fully aware of the irony in that statement), which means that tomorrow is also the beginning of the Lenten season. This is the 40-day period before Jesus' Death and Resurrection...and before Peter Cotton Tail comes hopping down the bunny trail. During this time, we're asked to sacrifice and give something up as a symbol of Jesus' suffering and temptation from the Devil. I'm not sure it's what Jesus had in mind when you hear about people giving up candy, skydiving or Diet Coke...Oh the sacrifice!! Oh well, we're human. We can only do so much. I've decided to give up alcohol. However, in true Catholic form, I have an exception. I'm going skiing in Colorado this weekend with some girlfriends and I've declared myself exempt from my Lenten promise from Friday through Wednesday. So much for true sacrifice! Oh well, I'm human. I don't drink a lot, but let me just say that I LOVE WINE. For me, giving up alcohol is perfect. The Boston Marathon is the day after Easter. What better way to celebrate Easter and the completion of that race than with my first glass of wine in over 6 weeks! At least I'll be a cheap drunk. Shawn will dig that. Plus, it will be good for my training, right? I'll feel lighter. I'll wake up easier. I'll sleep better. I'm trying to convince myself of these things, my friends...

Perhaps next year I'll give up exercise since that would be a TRUE sacrifice. Nope, won't happen. I'm only human and I'm all I have.

Enjoy your "Fat Tuesday" and earn those beads baby! Tonight, I'll be enjoying my last glass of wine until Post-Boston Marathon (well, actually, until this weekend, but hey--I'm only human.)

Workout: 5:45 am Spin Class followed by 15 minutes on the treadmill (1.6 miles) It was this year's first true "brick" workout of bike/run back-to-back.

Nutrition:
6am 2 bottles of water at gym
7:20am Mixture of cereals 1 1/2 cups (Kashi Go Lean Crunch/Uncle Sams), 1/2 banana, mixed fruit and organic yogurt on top of cereal. cup of coffee.
12:30pm Whole Wheat tortilla (50 calories) with chicken and hummus, apple, container of suger free jello chocolate pudding.water and diet Dr. Pepper.
2:30pm about 10 m&ms--I need CHOCOLATE!
4:15pm Whole Wheat tortilla with 1 teaspoon of organic PB and 1/2 banana, bottle of water with Crystal Lite Powder.
8:00pm Mardi Gras Blow Out Meal: 2 glasses of red wine, dinner salad with Balsamic Vinagerette. I left 95% of the croutons in the bowl. Shawn and I shared a Medium Mangia Pizza--thin whole wheat crust with spinach, sundried tomatoes and Canadian Bacon. I ate 3 pieces, but took lots of cheese off the pizza...Dessert baby. We split a chocolate chip cookie ala mode.

For some reason, I needed to be bad today. I'll blame it on my Aunt Flo coming to town this morning. Sorry guys.

No comments: